The paint wasn't coming off with aircraft stripper so I went at it with a sanding disk on the angle grinder to get the majority. From there I used an orbital sander to take off the rest and a sandblaster to get the tight spaces. Considered leaving it as raw metal but wasn't too happy with the dents so on with the bondo...
Sunday, April 28, 2013
Tank Progress
I traded my old headlight for these two gas tanks that I think are from a CB360. They were both in terrible shape, one with extensive rust and another with a coating of some black crust on the inside... not sure what that was. I decided to tackle the one that looked more structurally sound. I attempted to pull the largest of the dents using the hammer and superglue trick but that just wasn't doing it so I used a c-clamp to pull out the dents that I could reach.
I started to clean the inside with vinegar and BBs to remove the heavy stuff. Then a soak in evaporust on and off for a few weeks. After only a few days it looked like a different gas tank. You can see in the pictures the rust that was originally coating the entire inside.
The paint wasn't coming off with aircraft stripper so I went at it with a sanding disk on the angle grinder to get the majority. From there I used an orbital sander to take off the rest and a sandblaster to get the tight spaces. Considered leaving it as raw metal but wasn't too happy with the dents so on with the bondo...
The paint wasn't coming off with aircraft stripper so I went at it with a sanding disk on the angle grinder to get the majority. From there I used an orbital sander to take off the rest and a sandblaster to get the tight spaces. Considered leaving it as raw metal but wasn't too happy with the dents so on with the bondo...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment